Tuesday 5 June 2012

Creamy Shrimp Curry

Last night for dinner, I made creamy shrimp curry -- shrimp curry is one of my absolute favourite foods!

Ingredients
1 lb. shrimp (since I cook for myself and my boyfriend, I usually make enough so we each get 10 shrimp)
1 tbsp. curry powder
14 oz. diced tomatoes (I usually use a little less -- about 8-10 oz.)
1/2 cup sour cream
Optional: add in some cubed potatoes (cook these first, then add in step 5) and 1/4 tbsp. tumeric for something extra

Directions

1. Peel and devein thawed shrimp. I usually pull out the shrimp right as I'm ready to start cooking. I put them in a bowl of warm water and peel them right then and there.

    Shrimp, thawed, peeled and deveined.
2. Put shrimp in a bowl and mix with the curry powder.
Adding curry powder
Shrimp and curry powder

3. In a wok/saucepan, heat some vegetable/olive oil on medium-high until hot. Then, add shrimp and cook until shrimp start to turn pink (about 3-5 minutes). Remove from pan once pink. 
Remember: "C" means "cooked," "O" means "over-cooked".


    Cooking shrimp
4. In same pan, heat diced tomatoes (with juice). When juice begins to boil, reduce to medium heat. Cook for 8 minutes (until most of the juice is evaporated).
Heating diced tomatoes
5. Add shrimp and sour cream. (This is where you can add pre-cooked potatoes and tumeric). Mix well and cook on medium heat until sauce begins to bubble. Once bubbling, you're ready to serve.

Finishing the curry

 ** I normally serve this with basmati rice, but that part's up to you.

 Also, apologies for not taking a final picture -- was really hungry and completely forgot!



No comments:

Post a Comment